Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs) are specialist vocational qualifications for technical jobs. If you’re looking to take the next step in your career, or if you want to retrain in a new industry, an HTQ could give you the specialist skills you need.
- HTQs are technical qualifications that employers have helped develop. They are an alternative to apprenticeships or degrees and lead to Level 4 or 5 qualifications
- They may suit you if you want a more practical, employer-led study programme
- HTQs are already being taught in subjects leading to digital occupations. From September 2023, HTQs will be available in construction and health and science
- People aged 18 and over and living in England
- Course providers set their own entry criteria. These will depend on the type of course you’re applying for
Time and course type:
- HTQs take 1 to 2 years to complete full-time
- Flexible options such as part-time, online and learning through short courses are available in some places
- Courses are classroom-based with the opportunity to learn practical skills through workshops, role playing exercises, and by using industry facilities
- Courses, colleges and training providers charge differently
- Student loans are available to cover tuition and maintenance while you study
Find out more about Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs) (external website) and find an HTQ course (external website) available near you today.