When you find a job you’re interested in, it’s time to apply! Here are some tips on job applications and interviews.
- Make sure you are following the recruitment process the company has laid out in the job advert. Each employer will have a different approach.
- Look in detail at the job advert / description and update and tailor your CV and covering letter so it fits the job description. Find out more on our CV and covering letter pages.
- If an employer asks you to fill in an application form, don’t be put off. It’s just another way to find out about you, your skills and experience. You should be able to adjust parts of your CV to fit the form. Our application form page has some useful tips.
- Research the company – find out more about the company you’re applying to. For example, find out their business priorities and values. It might help you to decide what you say in your CV or covering letter. And it will show the company that you’re interested and have done your homework.
- It may take some time to get an interview as each job can have a number of people applying. Don’t wait to hear back from your applications straightaway, crack on with another one in the meantime.
- Start to prepare for interviews – go to our interview page to find out more.
- Not all employers will let you know if your application has been unsuccessful. It can be upsetting to send an application and not get a response but try not to be put off by it. It’s nothing personal.
- If you don’t get an interview, email the employer and ask for their feedback. This can be useful in improving your CV and applications in future.
- Stick to your plan! The more suitable jobs you apply for with a tailored CV and covering letter, the more you improve your chances of getting an interview.