Hannah, a jobcentre work coach, gives her top tips on planning your job search and how to stay positive and motivated.
Looking for a new job takes dedication and time. Setting out your job search activities in a plan is a great way to organise your job search. It will:
- Help you to keep track of your progress, which is vital when you are applying for lots of jobs
- Make your job search more effective. By planning out what you need to do each day, you’re less likely to miss opportunities.
Here are some ideas on what to include in your plan.
- List all the job search activities you want to carry out each day. These could include:
- Set out some timings, that is, how long you aim to spend on each activity. This will help you to organise and structure your days:
- Pace yourself. Don’t try and do everything in a day.
- Vary the things you do each day to stay fresh. For example, if you search some job sites in the morning, do a short training course or update your CV in the afternoon.
- Build in some breaks. This is important to keep you alert and motivated.
- Set some targets. These can be daily or weekly, but they should be realistic and achievable to help to keep you motivated and active.
Check your plan regularly and keep it up to date. For example, when you’ve checked a job site or sent an application, log them on your plan. It will keep you organised and show your progress.
And for each target you meet, you can give yourself a reward!