There are a wide variety of opportunities within agriculture, including:
- Farm workers – carrying out the practical work on a farm, such as planting and harvesting crops and caring for animals.
- Farm managers – managing the daily operation of farms.
- Agricultural sales – selling different products to farms such as feed, fertiliser and machinery.
- Grain buyers – buying the crops when they are harvested.
- Transport and logistics – to get produce to warehouses and markets.
In addition, there are different scientific jobs in agriculture including plant specialists, animal nutritionists and engineers. Modern farming also needs support from business consultants and administrators.
There are UK-wide vacancies available in farming, food production and manufacturing. Visit the Staffline (external website) to find vacancies in food production across the country. For farming vacancies visit Find a Job (external website)and The Farmers Weekly (external website) and listen to Joe’s story (external website) about his move from retail to farming.